Sunday, January 1, 2017

Christmas Week

Well this week was very good.  Monday night we had a little Christmas party with one of the recent converts.  He invited the whole block and bore his testimony to all of them about the Book of Mormon. Everyone here is Catholic and not very accepting of the book of Mormon, and his whole family is Catholic too. But, again because he did this we found one lady who is less active but has been looking for the church for some time, and she has a powerful testimony!  We are teaching her family now and helping her return to church.

We also started teaching another family, and helping the dad overcome some challenges. He was very reluctant to meet with us at first, but after the Christmas party he was excited and welcomed us. We also started teaching about three other families all as a result of this mans courage to bare his testimony in front of all his neighbors. His name is Salvador, so thank you Salvador!!

New Convert--Salvador!  He is awesome! He painted this mural.
The rest of the week was tough, there is a lot of drinking and partying here, especially during Christmas. One day we had nine appointments scheduled, and every single one fell through. but we found a man named F.  He speakes English, and is 77.  He has lived quite the life. He moved to the states when he was 25, and started as a janitor. He had a degree though, and eventually started working for NASA. He started making up to $25,000 a month in the seventies, and was very wealthy. He has had tons of inventions and a very successful career, until one day he went to visit his brother, and his brother got caught with a lot of illegal substances while he was with him, and therefore was guilty  by association. The rest of the story I probably shouldn't say, but he ended up back in Colombia and has been here since. He is possibly the smartest man I've ever met, and I love teaching him. 
 
I also got to try my first tamale, it was tough to eat. It's basically leaves filled with rice and chicken guts, and other mystery meats. but I put it down. I tell myself whenever I have to eat something gross that sacrifices bring forth the blessings of heaven, and I will get a more beautiful wife for it. :)
 
I also found a man who cooks hamburgers for a living, and he invited us for lunch Wednesday. I'm pretty excited!  You know how I love burgers.  I plan to teach him how to make the el diablo!  He was pretty interested in our message, but he told us his "church is weed", he worships it.  I think we are going to have to teach him the word of wisdom soon.  :)  He's very receptive and I have high hopes for him.
 
Christmas Eve we got to play basketball, and that was a blast. After tha twe tried to sleep but with all the parties all night we couldn't get much sleep.  I put up like a one foot tall Christmas tree, we decorated it and for Christmas dinner I made fried bananas, cinnamon rolls, ding dongs, Oreo"s, and root-beer.  All the Colombian brand, but still good. anyways!!
 
I'm staying in the same area, companion.  I didn't get transferred.  Neither did Elder Amick.  
 
I hope all is well with you guys.  I loved being able to see you and talk to you all on our Christmas Day Skype.  My testimony is solid.  I love the gospel and I love you all. 
 
Elder Donaldson




No comments:

Post a Comment