Sunday, January 22, 2017

Only a missionary "but for a short time"

This week was pretty good.  I finally got the package of treats you sent me!!  I can't thank you enough, and the Tootsie Rolls Grandma and Grandpa sent me too! The Kids here don't have alot of money and I gave my tootsie rolls to them and they loved them!! It was the highlight of the new year seeing those kids eat Tootsie Rolls for me. And the Ensign, I have been studying the conference talks and they are a gold mine. Thank you soo much!!  I can't tell you what a difference it made.


We finally had someone come to church this week!! I would like to share the story of E and  with you. They are neighbors of Salvador. We first met them about three weeks ago, and they have two little boys who are full of energy.  The first time we taught them, A didn't want to meet with us and left as soon as we got there, we had to ask Salvador to accompany us so we could teach E. With time eventually A agreed to meet with us, and began progressing very rapidly.  He loved reading the Book of Mormon, and I saw this man change his life 180 degrees. E told us in our first visit that A would get angry easily and they were having problems, but now they seem to be happier then ever.  That's what living the gospel does for families.

Christmas we went to pick up A and E for church but A was too drunk to attend and E to stay home and watch her kids. New years was almost the same except A wasn't drunk because we taught him the word of wisdom.  They were out all night like everyone else!  It's crazy.

SO this week we had a family night with them.  I brought them cinnamon rolls that I love (cañas) and then we watched the restoration. Its such a powerful video, and was probably the most spiritual lesson I've had on my mission. I am a firm believer that the church videos are the best teachers, because they invite the spirit and the people cant argue with a video. Unfortunately, A had to go to Cali, a different city, to work for 6 months to a year, and we aren't sure how much we will get to see him now.

E came to church with her two boys this week! I had the job of entertaining the boys during sacrament, and they drew pictures all over my planner and notebook, but at least they were somewhat reverent. E had a good experience at church and the members were very welcoming, and that was probably the highlight of my week.
To answer some of your questions:
 What i love about being a missionary is the easiness of it. There are challenges, but every stress in the mission I've learned can be calmed with the phrase "you're only a missionary for but a short time", and it puts back into perspective that I have a family who loves me, a future ahead of me, and Savior who strengthens me.
Crazy Experiences this week
A lady gave us fruit salad, covered in cheese.  Mom, you said I would have to learn to like cheese.  I'm trying.

We went to visit a family for the first time, and it was a man and his son in law. the lesson was going very well until the wife came in.  She is an old lady, who just wants someone to talk to, so she talked and we listened.  I have no idea what she said, but she gave us crackers and soda so I was happy to listen. and she accepted a baptismal date.  :)

For lunch on Wednesdays we go to a restaurant and get a soup, rice, and some kind of meat for about 2 dollars. The meat happened to be inspired by divine revelation that day, because it was BBQ wings!!!!

Testimony
Other than that, there was one spiritual experience I would like to share with you mom, it happened to me during personal study. I mentioned to Dad the talk I was reading, "No greater joy than to know they know."   He talked about how sisters around the world who share the gospel are angels.  I want you to know you have been my guardian angel since I was born. and I am eternally grateful for you Mom.  You never gave up on me as rebellious and rude as I was.  Even when I gave up on myself.  I know this gospel is true. I know why you were so persistent in dragging me to church, waking me up early to read the scriptures, and never fearing to bear your testimony to me. I know Christ is my Savior, and I want you to know I´m trying my best to repent constantly, and continue to come to know Him more everyday. Thank you for your example and your love.

On to another week,
Love,
Elder Donaldson

No comments:

Post a Comment