Sunday, April 16, 2017

Compassion for Robbers; and..Happy Easter!

Hello Family,
Busy, busy but I'll catch you up on a few things.  Colombia had a soccer game this week.  When Colombia plays the streets are DEAD.  Everyone is watching the game.  When you knock on doors people yell at you for interrupting the game.  So Elder Ostler and I took some pamphlets (Law of Chastity and Word of Wisdom) walked around the park and gave them out to weed smokers and people making out.  :)  It was kind of fun though I don't think anyone will call us.

General Conference!  All the English Elders got to watch Conference together in the Bishop's office at the ward building.  And we got to listen to it in English.  :)  Loved every minute of it.  I got a lot out of Conference, but more than anything that I needed to improve on my perspective, look at trials with faith and eternal perspective, and to look at others with love and brotherly kindness; including those of other faiths.   This is not easy for me.   I really liked how Nephi described other churches and organizations in 2 Nephi 26.   It's a perfect picture of Colombia.  However, it doesn't mean Christ doesn't love these people. They are brothers and sisters who have lost their way and need the restored gospel as much as anyone. Looking at them and seeing their potential instead of their faults is what I hope to accomplish now.


General Conference Party!

The ward here is great. We have about 100 people who are active who attend every week, and a lot of less actives to work with as well. The high priest group leader is super cool and has a super strong testimony, and gives us lunch once a week. He has gone through some immense trials, but has welcomed me and really made me feel at home here. Also Liliana and Daniel and their uncle, she was my first baptism, and Daniel her cousin will be baptized soon. They buy us lunch a lot, and speak English, but we are helping them improve that. Those are the members that are probably my best friends, but there are many more who I am close with. I really don't want to leave this area, I would be fine finishing my year and a half here to be honest.

That's crazy about your friend who got robbed in Chicago!! I've heard too many stories here in this mission about missionaries and people getting robbed, but the good news is people don't usually get hurt, they just take your money and phones. (I've found my ways around it)  I have also taught a lot of people on the mission here that used to rob people, because they didn't have money and had a family to feed.  I have gained a new compassion for them, though i don't justify or support their actions. I feel very blessed to have been raised in Brigham City, its not perfect but its dang close.
Bogota Town Square

Colombia foods I like, Pechuga Pernil. its a chicken plate, with mushroom sauce is super good. and a soup called Agiaco, super good.  I got my rain jacket fixed, a guy sewed a piece of black leather on it and it looks good and not burnt now.  And yes,  Elder Ostler likes pickleball,  honestly the only thing I wanna ask for is more pictures. I love seeing all your faces.



A few funny jokes:
Elder Argyle got into our apartment before the other Elders did and we hid and sacred the crap out of them.  We also made oreo cookies but we put skin lotion in the middle.  Haha.  They ate it too.  Still me...gotta have fun some times!

We visited a family up in the mountains.  I made them a Peach Cobbler.  It kind of turned out funny tasting but they ate it anyways.  They came to church on Sunday so they must have liked it.

This week is the Catholic Holy Week, most of our investigators are out of town.  The Bishop is out of town so it shall be interesting week.  We will see how things go. 
And speaking of Easter I don't know if you have seen the Easter video the church did, but look it up if you haven't, its super good.  We watch it all the time.

I love you all.  I love being a missionary, and I love my Savior.

Elder Donaldson

Mom...look what I found!

1 comment:

  1. That mission certainly wouldn't be the same without you! We love you Elder Donaldson!!!

    ReplyDelete