Sunday, February 26, 2017

Suit and Tie at Church and Pickleball :)

Bogota is huge.  I think top ten biggest cities in the world.  My area is the border of the city. Trust me Hawaii rain forest is nothing like Colombia... its much prettier there, or at least prettier than Bogota! 

My district
We have full days of walking! My legs have gotten much stronger from walking up and down that mountain everyday. I've even had to use my adventure hat because we are very high up and it roasts my face.

The only problem with my new area is they don't have any cinnamon rolls, and if they do they aren't cheap.  :) 

Our new schedule is awesome.  We still have to wake up at 630am, but we come home at nine and don't have to plan or update the area book.  We do that in the morning, leave to work at ten, and after lunch when everyone is working we study language and companionship study.  I really like the new schedule because i don't have to study for five hours straight.

This Sunday I gave a talk in church on Family History.  It was a little scary because it was all in Spanish.  Everyone said it was good and quoted things from my talk so I think they understood. People don't believe me when I tell them I only have 4 months in Colombia.

I've been reading General Conference talks in Spanish.  We have like every Liahona in our apartment since like the 90's.  I have a new found love for church magazines.  It's weird how my focus on the mission changes.  I can hardly remember American music, movies, or sports, but I can name all the apostles in order and tell about at least one talk they have given.  My favorite is Elder Christofferson.  His talks are always direct and answer many of my questions. 
My study desk and comp

My bed.  Before I made it. 
My most meaningful experience I had this week was teaching the restoration to a man named A. I feel like I taught the restoration for the first time and he understood.   The other missionaries had been teaching him for two months and he hadn't come to church yet, but he came this Sunday in a suit and tie!!  Happiness.   He began asking more meaningful questions and really progressing.  That is why the restoration is lesson 1.  If someone doesn't understand that then we are just like any other church.

Our awesome made pickleball court. 
My companion retrieving our pickleball.  From the roof. 
 What made me smile most this week was without doubt playing pickle-ball1   The paddles were the best gift ever and are coming in quite handy.  We didn't have painted lines or a net, we used chairs and cracks in the cement, but it reminded me a little of home, and was nice to play something other than soccer for once.  Though I will say I have enjoyed soccer more here, and I have gotten somewhat decent, but its nothing compared to pickle-ball. The Latinos loved it too.  We will see next week if I can convince them to play instead of soccer.  But Mom, you can take pride in giving birth to the first pickleball champion in Colombia.  Elder Argyle took me to the third round overtime, but I ended up champion!!

Have a great week.  The gospel is true.

Love you all,  Elder Donaldson





Throne
My kitchen in Bogota

No comments:

Post a Comment