Sunday, January 14, 2018

Insights on Obedience with a little "Meaty" Flare

 
The highlight of this past week was our baptism with Nicol! She is 9 so cute and willing to learn.  We pretty much taught her all the lessons this week. She doesn't hardly talk, but after her baptism she got up in front of everyone and shared her testimony! It was really cool. 
 
Oh and the last Christmas package got here with Joel! Thank you soo much for the treats, and especially Charlie for the beef jerky.  Haven't had that in fifteen months..  It was neat to find the children's gifts included in the package too.  Nicol and her hermanitos loved the coloring books! I'm not sure why you sent me those, but that was their only Christmas present and they were very grateful for it so thank you.   Inspired you are!
 
Funny story for the week, we went to go ask one of our investigators why he couldn't come to church, and when we got there he was skinning some lambs with his kitchen knife in his underwear.  Yep.  We arrived just to see him rip the guts out and throw the kidney and meat on top of the counter where he also washes his clothes.   It was at that moment I realized that's how they process meat here.  After about fifteen months of eating the meat here... haha I'm pretty sure my stomach has gotten stronger or I would be dead by now.    He also told us about his nephew went who crocodile hunting.  If he kills one I'll get to try crocodile meat!   Sounds like an adventure!  I'll update you on that next week.
 
New week:   This one was kinda tough.  The holidays (Christmas through New Years) here are just a long party.  It's the summer vacation here, so it was really hard to teach people.   We were finding every day and following up with our contacts but not too many lessons. 
 
We just passed transfers and Elder Gardner and I have six more weeks together!!  I'm super stoked because we are really good friends.   I told you we went hiking with our district on P-Day.  Found a wild Lynx and a wild dog (chupacabra!)  Hot, sweaty, beautiful scenes and refreshing to get out. 
 
A little tender mercy for us this week which both Elder Gardner and I were so grateful for.  We had to travel to Bogota this week and the bus terminal was super packed because everyone and there mother was leaving to Bogota as the New Year's festivities had ended.  After an hour of waiting we still hadn't even entered the terminal.  I took a chance and  Joel's parents and just so happened they were going to Bogota!  They gave us a ride, and it was our little miracle because you have no idea how bad the bus rides and traffic are here... last time we were on a bus with chickens... haha.  Seriously our little miracle.  

 
I've had some great studies lately and definitely some things on my mind as to how I want to live out the rest of my life.  Once in a while I've noticed my testimony of the commandments sometimes gets hit with doubts.  But I've made the decision to obey them to the best I can the rest of my life. I've learned that tithing or whatever commandment isn't an investment in blessings, as some people think, but rather a sacrifice to submit our will to God's. That way of living brings peace of mind, and stableness in the home.  And maybe that is the blessing even bigger than divine miracles that sometimes happen. Either way, I've committed my life to obedience and trust.  Thank you Mom and Dad, for your examples to me.  I came from such a home. 
 
Thank you, also for the pictures, love, support and everything.  I am blessed with an awesome family.  I love hearing how Chuck is doing with wrestling.  He was a little kid with a squeaky voice when I left.  I could just sit on him when needed.  I'm going to have to up my game when I get home!  I'm really proud of him.  And all of you for your examples.  Know I love my Savior.  I'm working my best to serve him here.  Love this opportunity in my life.  Love my Colombian friends.

The gospel is so true.
 
Love,
Elder Donaldson

No comments:

Post a Comment